The Anklet Around My Feet Rings

The anklet around my feet rings.
Do you hear it?
Just a little?
No?
It’s fine.
I don’t blame you.
Don’t feel bad about it.
It’s very soft.
Easily missed by the ear.

The phone in your hand rings.
Did you hear it?
It was pretty loud.
Your mother heard it.
She asked you, didn’t she?
“Who was it? This late at night?”
Why didn’t you pick it up?
Why didn’t you call me back?

It’s fine.
I wouldn’t have been able to pick it up even if you called back.
I wouldn’t have heard it.
Very soft.
Easily missed by the ear.
They were closed by the palm of my hands.
My ears were ringing a little bit.
Must’ve been all the crying.

But at least you texted back!
Three question marks.
Marks.
The mark you left on my life will forever be indented on my skin
Like the cigarette burn on yours from your childhood
A father forgotten, but never forgiven
Now I pay the price for your incomplete childhood.

The anger in your veins,
The wrath in your voice
Not soft
Not easily missed by the ear
Thrown at me like shards of glass
It hurts; it burns;
I can’t get up.
Do something, will you?
Don’t just stand there and watch
Don’t be mean; don’t be cruel:
Don’t be like your father.

Be better.
For me, at least.
I can’t leave.
But you can.
Or are you too comfortable in your palace of fire?
The inevitable doom of ashes is rising  like the smoke.
Get out while you can.
Help me up and I will get you out of here.
I will bleed out from my ring finger to save even a strand of you hair
Why don’t you understand?
I don’t need you to need me,
But I need you.
I need you to save yourself because darling,
Beneath all your troubled patterns, 
I know that the man I met that June afternoon
Still exists.

The ambitious eyes, the love for the game,
“It isn’t just a hobby” you said,
And I believe you.
I still do.
Wake up!
Look around!
You’ve got a dream to chase.
Opinions to prove wrong.
Just because you were bad to me,
Doesn’t mean you’ll be bad to others.

Our time is up,
Now get up; 
Leave;
Put in the work for your years.
The bell has rung,
It keeps ringing;
It will keep ringing 
Until the anklet on my feet stop ringing for you.

Comments

Popular Posts